HLK is committed to building an inclusive and supportive working environment based on mutual respect and trust at all levels.
The firm is one of the earliest Charter signatories of IP Inclusive – a group of IP professionals committed to improving equality, diversity and inclusivity in the IP community – and some of the HLK colleagues were fundamental in establishing the Charter scheme.
HLK has an internal Diversity and Inclusion working group, called DiveIn, with representatives across the firm. The Group aims to increase awareness, provide support and facilitate change in relation to diversity and inclusion within our firm.
Here are some of the latest news and activities that DiveIn has recently been involved in:
- Our CEO and several Partners have published their ‘Leaders’ Pledges’, which are personal commitments to improving diversity and inclusion at HLK. Other Partners have also made their own personal pledges.
- Sue Antoine, Head of HR at HLK is a member of the IP Inclusive’s IP Advisory Board.
- We have completed an initial six-month pilot phase of a firm mentoring scheme and are currently gathering feedback from the participants ahead of a wider rollout during this year.
- DiveIn has developed best practice guidance and advice for the use of pronouns/titles in the workplace.
- We have been working closely with the Senior Management and HR team throughout the pandemic and during the move to a hybrid working style to ensure D&I is at the heart of these changes.
- We have a dedicated intranet page accessible to all where we have loads of resources and links to articles, IP inclusive events and an option for colleagues to submit anonymous comments.
- We have launched a new internal logo and are currently compiling our new aims and objectives with a clear ‘inward’ HLK focus for this year on challenging the norm!
- HLK has taken practical steps to expand our Graduate recruitment search to include a wider more diverse spectrum of universities and colleges.
We know we can always do more, and really value the diverse views of our colleagues in driving positive changes within HLK.
Our commitment to making HLK a diverse and inclusive environment, combined with our family friendly policies; enhanced maternity leave provision, paternity, shared parental leave and flexible remote working opportunities makes the firm a great place to work!
HLK’s internal Mental Health and Wellbeing Group supports any colleagues who may be experiencing mental health issues; with our team of Mental Health First Aiders they address the stigma that surrounds mental health, help enable all colleagues to feel safe and confident talking about their mental health and have organised some great coffee and chats!
HLK’s HoListiK – our wellbeing and engagement programme – offers a range of exciting initiatives, from Yoga and Tai Chi to book club and quiz nights, keeping us all connected, learning new skills and supporting our colleagues’ physical and mental wellbeing.