HLK is committed to building an inclusive and supportive working environment based on mutual respect and trust at all levels.
The firm is one of the earliest Charter signatories of IP Inclusive – a group of IP professionals committed to improving equality, diversity and inclusivity in the IP community – and some of the HLK colleagues were fundamental in establishing the Charter scheme.
HLK has an internal Diversity and Inclusion working group, called DiveIn, with representatives across the firm. The Group aims to increase awareness, provide support and facilitate change in relation to diversity and inclusion within our firm.
Here are some of the latest news and activities that DiveIn has recently been involved in:
- Our CEO and several Partners have published their ‘Leaders’ Pledges’, which are personal commitments to improving diversity and inclusion at HLK. Other Partners will also be making their own personal pledges soon.
- A particular highlight over the summer was Sandeep Basra’s (who is a DiveIn member) highly successful event in collaboration with ‘IP Futures’ on “What I’d tell my younger self”, a fireside chat drawing on her experiences in the IP professions and her journey to where she is now.
- The initial six-month phase of the HLK pilot mentoring scheme is complete, so the Group will be gathering feedback from the participants and preparing a wider rollout before the end of the year.
- The Group is working on guidance for inclusive email signatures, recently introduced at HLK, including advice regarding the use of pronouns.
- DiveIn is liaising with ‘Careers In Ideas’ to see how we can help promote the IP profession to a diverse student audience.
- HLK has taken practical steps to expand our Graduate recruitment search to include a wider more diverse spectrum of universities and colleges.
- All Partners and the Executive Management Team have had diversity awareness training.
Our commitment to making HLK a diverse and inclusive environment, combined with our family friendly policies; enhanced maternity leave provision, paternity, shared parental leave and flexible remote working opportunities makes the firm a great place to work!
HLK’s internal Mental Health and Wellbeing Group supports any colleagues who may be experiencing mental health issues; with our team of Mental Health First Aiders they address the stigma that surrounds mental health, help enable all colleagues to feel safe and confident talking about their mental health and have organised some great coffee and chats!
HLK’s HoListiK – our wellbeing and engagement programme – offers a range of exciting initiatives, from Yoga and Tai Chi to book club and quiz nights, keeping us all connected, learning new skills and supporting our colleagues’ physical and mental wellbeing.